Wednesday, January 4, 2012

High flying fun

I swear there was a time when I could make paper airplanes that flew, but that time has clearly passed. So I got a book on making paper airplanes (recommended by friend of the lab Arthi). We were able to make a bunch of really cool airplanes (some of which actually took decent flights). Although I got this book for Jr. scientist A, I was surprised at how much fun the younger Jr scientist E had watching the airplanes fly by. She eventually started toddling over to where they fell and bringing them back for another flight. We had a lot of fun seeing how different designs and different modifications resulted in different flight patterns (I have to confess that I started making two of each design because I wanted more turns!). At some point, Jr. scientist A must have decided that the planes were flying because they were made of paper and insisted on trying to fly an (unmodified) paper bag. This isn't the first time that he's gone from observer/participant to actively guiding experiments in new directions, and I have to say I'm a bit proud of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment